Posted by Andrea Nelson on 08-20-2020
The Sheyenne Valley Community Foundation (SVCF) has awarded $12,000 in emergency funding to five Barnes County nonprofit organizations to help address the needs related to the COVID-19 pandemic. This grant fund was made possible by gifts from private donors, matching funds, businesses, and other fundraising events.
Nonprofits in the community providing critical services to those most in need are facing many challenges in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Establishing the Barnes County COVID-19 Relief Fund is a way for the SVCF to relieve pressure from those organizations and allow them to focus on providing their service.
Grant Funds were awarded to:
- Abused Persons Outreach Center: funds will be used to assist with rent or utilities for survivors and their children, and relocation expenses for victims escaping violence.
- Valley City Public School: purchase personal protective equipment (PPE) and other cleaning supplies to allow students to safely return to school.
- Buffalo Brdiges Human Service Zone- Barnes County Social Services: provides crisis management and family preservation services to at-risk families in Barnes County. Grant funds will help with rent, utilities, food, clothing, and other emergency needs - easing the burden of having to decide between paying bills or putting food on the table.
- Litchville Fire Department: purchase an extractor machine that will wash and sanitize their gear. This cleaning process will assure they are COVID safe when coming in contact with others while responding to calls.
- City-County Health Department: purchased oximeters to help those recovering at home the ability to monitor their oxygen levels, infrared thermometers to use when treating patients, and assistance to low-income clients struggling with various basic needs such as clothing, pots and pans, and other household needs.
Thanks to the generous support of the community, grant funds remain available. Grant applications will be accepted on a rolling basis or until all funds have been expended. Criteria for nonprofit organizations serving Barnes County are as follows:
- Nonprofit organizations that are directly involved in addressing Basic Human Needs (housing, food, transportation, etc.) and serving the most vulnerable populations.
- Behavioral Health Services
- Emergency Response and Healthcare needs: PPE or other equipment needed by emergency departments. May also fund relief for personnel and their families.
- Consideration may also be given to projects which support community resiliency and response.
For more information on the Barnes County COVID-19 Relief Fund including the online application and ways to donate please visit our website at or contact us by phone at 701.490.1596, email: or schedule an appointment to stop in at 250 West Main St, Valley City, ND.
Sheyenne Valley Community Foundation
Andrea Nelson, Director
250 West Main Street
Valley City ND 58702
Email: Click Here
The program allowed my children to participate in activities that otherwise would not have been an option for them due to fnancial costs.Community Wellness For All Program Recipient